Thursday, January 27, 2022

Wiring time in March BRM


I don't much like wiring, and I like trying to write it up even less, but needs must, and so this month I'm buiding the baseboard, laying the track and getting the electricity flowing on the DHAPR Wagonworks project. 

Making this stuff look nice on the page is tricky, and I'm concious that wiring expecially, is an area that scares a lot of modellers - so I want to do the best job possible (one of the reasons it's not my favourite topic to write up, the pressure is on) with the article. It's come out nicely, and hopefully will demystify the process a bit. 

My camera has been out again for two features this month:

"Witham" is a mosestly sized dream layout with two continuous circuits and a branch line, all fitting in a garage. There's a LOT of modelling here and yet the owner is very modest about his efforts. 

We're also off to London for "Kennington Cross" trams. 

I love the buildings on this layout, all of which are kits from the builders own range of card models. It's a fabulous model that portrays a busy London scene perfectly. 

On BRM TV, I have a look at the Hunt Counpling system. 


Used on "Whytham", it's an easy to fit magnetic system that I can see being perfect for those who run rakes of stock that rarely needs to be shunted. 

More over on RMweb.


2 comments:

Huw Griffiths said...

Ah yes ... wiring ... the best part of building a layout.

As for making it look neat, it was always likely to involve either cable clips or rectangular "clip on lid" rectangular plastic trunking.

Personally, I'd probably be tempted to go for trunking - certainly after establishing exactly where all the wires need to go.

I might also consider adding numbered tags / collars to both ends of any wires if this might make maintenance easier.

Of course, this isn't intended as criticism - I suspect that lots of people would have their own ways of doing things ... .

Ian C said...

I actually really enjoy doing wiring. For me, is one of the best bits.i use lots of p clips to hold the wires neatly.
As for hunt couplings, they are excellent. Agree that they sure no use for proper shunting, but for "hand of God" work, they are perfect, the coaches just lift out.