Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Paint stripping

loco2After checking the locomotive over, I removed the only plastic items (window glazing) from the body. This allows me to use a "man sized" paint stripper rather than some of that watery stuff that you get for stripping plastic. My choice was Nitromors finest and the model was soon liberally coated in the stuff. For some reason I couldn't help thinking that the stuff looked very much like wallpaper paste. OK, it smells different and you wouldn't want to splash it on the walls but apart from that...

Anyway, after a few minutes the paint reacted and I started working it off with an old toothbrush. The paint seemed to have a good hold and it took a lot of work to get the results you see in the picture. I suspect that there are better strippers out there for this job as your domestic varieties have been neutered to cater for a market stupid enough to stick the stuff up their nose and then moan, "It hurts".

Once dry, a fair bit more of the paint could be picked off with a scalpel blade as the stripper had loosened it from the metal. I spent rather longer on this than expected and then had a better idea.

Nitromors data sheets can be downloaded from here.

No comments: