Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A view along the river

Hurt Arms

Found buried in my collection of old photos - this shot of the Hurt Arms take looking along the (flock covered) river at Ambergate in Derbyshire.

Of course, this is a model. It's part of John Webb's massive layout which my Father and I contributed to. The Hurt Arms was his project. After visiting the site and doing our best to measure the building, he made it up from Daler Board covered with Peco stonework. This unusual choice was the best available at the time to represent the building which was very different in finish to all the other structures.

To add to the challenge, we had to build the long-lost stable block for which the only information was to be found on the pub walls in the form of old, and difficult to photograph, photos.

The results came out OK, which was good as the model sat right at the front of the layout. To be honest, I doubt anyone really noticed in the 36 foot frontage, but we did and were always proud of our efforts.

You can see the real Hurt Arms on Google.

7 comments:

Mikkel said...

Personally, I would say you did more than "OK" :-)

I especially like how it blends in with the surroundings.

The trees are interesting too. Do you know how they were made?

Phil Parker said...

I'm pretty sure they are twisted wire trunks. Not sure what they are covered in.

Stuart said...

Beautiful - Photoshop a sky onto that and defy anyone to say it's a model..

Iain Robinson said...

A super model with a convincing feeling of reality about it.

I look back with a great deal of fondness to the projects my Dad and I worked on, more 12" to the foot than model, but I envy you being able to work together on models like this.

Phil Parker said...

I don't have a lot of choice - he's colourblind so that delecate stonework could have ended up some VERY interesting colours!

lnrmodels said...

This is a beautiful model. Thank you for sharing it with us. I've not come across peco stonework before.

It's great that you can work on projects together.

Richard Slipper said...

The Peco stone-work looks fine.