Monday, February 25, 2013

LNER Y6 kit

Tram kit BitsSometimes you acquire kits and sometimes they are thrust upon you. The later is how I ended up with this Connoisseur kit for an LNER Y6 tram engine, or Toby if you prefer.

The donor is an old friend of mine who found it surplus to requirements and knew I was building an O gauge layout. It's a very generous present as I only had to add wheels to the box to complete. To be fair, I had given him the now unavailable 4mm version some time ago but then since that kit was also passed to me for free, I really can't complain.

Basically, there were some kits floating around the model railway ether and after a bit of swapping, they have all ended up with the right people.

This should be an interesting build because I have assembled this kit before - but last time it was in 3mm scale. As I recall it went pretty well. To be honest, most models in this range do so I've no worries there. One advantage of the larger scale should be that I can make up the interior of the engine.

The only shock - Slaters wheels cost £20 an axle - Ouch!

And yes I know I'm being a project butterfly again but that's how I roll. Anyway, judging from the stats for this blog, you lot love a bit of etched brass action.

No comments: