Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Book Review: 7mm Modelling Part Two - Building a Layout

As you may know, I'm currently building an O gauge layout, Clayhanger Yard. To help me, I've been reading up a bit on the subject. In this case, that means buying the second part of Gordon Gravett's two book series on the subject. Book 1 has been on the shelf since it came out but I never got around to buying the sequel until spotting it on a second hand book stall. That's not a comment on Book 1 - it's just that I bought it when I was going to build a 7mm layout and then I wasn't so Book 2 wasn't so essential.

As it turns out, that might have been a mistake. To be honest, apart from a few pages showing the important measurements and clearances for O gaugers, the rest of the book is very applicable to any scale.

There's consideration of different types of layout and then it moves from theory to practise showing how to plan the model properly. Four different layout plans are worked through. I really like the small brewery but the through station and terminus are also good. Each plan is used as an oportunity for looking at different ideas such as wood-free baseboard design.

In between the plans there are chapters on building buildings - the considerations on scale and how to get the most in to the space without looking rubbish are well worth reading, vehicles and figures, and finally exhibiting the model. All good solid stuff that anyone could get something from .

If I have a complaint it's that the book ends without a nice wrapping up or conclusion. It's almost as though they ran out of pages.

Verdict: An enjoyable and surprisingly useful read.

No comments: