Monday, April 03, 2006

Air on a Ghia string


Ghia air cleaner
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Among the things I try and fix is my 1971 VW van. It’s the most wonderful vehicle in the world but every so often I have to attend to its wants.

Now in the ten years I have owned it, the one thing it has never done properly is start. We normally do get going but only after the engine has run for a few seconds on the starter motor. All apart from the last few weeks. However normal service was resumed when I noticed that the air filter connection was loose. Tightening it up I find that my previous excellent starting disappeared.

“Why not just loosen the filter ?” you cry. Well I had gained proper tickover and I wanted this more. I also had an idea.

If the filter was blocked, perhaps it was restricting the air into the engine. Alternatively, perhaps this is a vacuum issue. Vacuum is used to advance the spark depending on speed and load.

Either way, the answer lay I hoped in the collective brains of type2.com would be able to help. I sent a message and as an aside asked about the vacuum lines coming out of the top of the filter.

The reply has really surprised me. It appears I have been driving a van with a late model Karman Ghia filter.

So now I have to go and get the correct filter and fit it. More project creep !

No comments: