Sunday, May 21, 2006

We are sailing


piesailing
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
A bit of catch up here. Before I built the Armstrong Whitworth, I managed to get Pigeon Pie to a sailable state. Having had the maiden voyage in the bath, the next step was to move out to the pool in the garden.

With the cover half off I have sailed it around a little. Good thing really, while reversing the propeller unscrewed itself and had to be rescued from the bottom. This wouldn’t have been possible if it had happened on the lake ! I need to fix the retaining nut a bit more securely.

Steering needs checking. I had to have the trim set to full left in order that the boat was manoeuvrable. Not difficult but rain stopped tinkering on the day.

With the full weight inside this a heavy boat. It is very stable so I hope not to have to worry in cross winds or slightly choppy water.

No comments: