Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Cleaning out the tank


clean
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Looking at the stats on visitors to this blog, most people arrive from my main web page or from one of the descriptions of the layouts I have built. As such you are probably hoping to read about some model railway work I’m carrying out.

Well I have to disappoint you. Currently I’m still working on the fuel tank from my VW Camper van. So far I’ve taken it out of the vehicle and have been pouring treatments into it in an effort to remove all the muck in the bottom.

The first stage of the process involves “Marine Clean”, a high powered degreaser. It’s so powerful that the bottle in the picture has to be diluted 5:1 with water. The results on the tank contents appear impressive. On the first washing (half a bottle) a load of rust coloured muck poured out. The second gave more but not as much. A screwdriver scraped along the inside of the tank brings back no lumps of crud.

Now a regular task when kit-building is to clean the grease off a model before painting. I wonder if this stuff would be any good ? There is a little left in the bottle for me to find out, so where is that mineral engine kit ?

No comments: