Sunday, April 29, 2007

Expensive tastes


hellingly sign
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Since building my model of the Hellingly Hospital Railway I have gradually collected various momentoes of the line, which are displayed with the model. There are luggage tickets from the station and bits of the hospital buildings.

Yesterday I spotted one of the ultimate souvenirs at a railwayana auction – the 1950’s station sign !

Now I hadn’t gone intending to bid. To be honest I went out of curiosity as the event was only down the road. Like most people in the hobby I have a few real railway bits and pieces but the ones I really want are usually wallet breakingly expensive.

Still, the Hellingly station sign was on the front cover of the catalogue when I got there which was a real surprise (I had no idea what was there before going) so I thought, “Perhaps today is my lucky day.”. Registering to bid was free and the totem was lot 14 so the wait wouldn’t be too long.

The earlier lots went well with prices that the antique trade would describe as “strong”. There was a room full of (mostly middle aged) men and they had money to spend. I knew I was going to be out of luck when the bidding started on commission at £800.

It kept going and finally ran out of steam at £3600 !

With commission and VAT someone has paid over 4 grand for that sign. It wasn’t even in that great a condition. Wow.

I later discovered that I should have modelled Nuneaton. That sign went for £360. Of course it didn’t have an asylum. Hmmm.

Incidentally if you do have any Hellingly items, please get in touch. Donations are always welcome !

No comments: