Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Slingshot coupling - again


sligshot coupling
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
The reason I’ve been checking the Slingshot over isn’t because I’m packing it away for the winter. It’s because I’m not always that great at controlling it.

After our final race in the series we decided to have an endurance challenge. The plan was that the race would last 10 minutes (normal races last 4 or 5) and must include one a battery change.

So I prepared some extra bits of black tape read for my hurried pit-stop. This might not be Formula 1 but wielding scissors while in a hurry seemed to be a quick way to a world of pain and sticking plasters.

On the water we set of for our first slow warm up lap. I noticed as I went round that the rudder trim was hard over to the right. So thinking this was wrong I centred it. Of course this made the boat pull to the left. By the time I realised this of course I’m back at the start.

Which explains why after the first corner my boat is half way up the bank.

Once retrieved all I get is a death rattle from inside. Hitting the bank side on had tugged the prop shaft out of the coupling. Again. This is the second time it’s gone in a week.

So that’s why I had the boat apart and spotted the battle scars. The shaft has now been Araldited into the coupling – superglue obviously not being quite man enough for the job.

I have greased all the shafts and oiled the other metal parts ready for the months of storage. Even the mud that coated the hull has been removed. The model deserves a bit of pampering after winning I suppose.

No comments: