Monday, March 09, 2015

Updating couplings

Coupling fitting

When I build rolling stock for a magazine feature, it generally has to be fitted with a traditional tension-lock coupling. However, on my layout, I use Sprat & Winkles.

With Melbridge Dock out last weekend, I decided it was time to retrofit S&W coupling bars. After all, the items of rolling stock had long since appeared in print and it seemed a shame not to be able to run them.

As you can see, the process is pretty simple. Pull off old tension-locks with pliers. Then place the model on my coupling height gauge. Balance a bit of wire or thin dressmaking pin sans head and point on the gauge. Pop some superglue on the bufferheads and roll the loco up to the wire/pin.

Leave to dry and then paint the buffers and coupling wire with some weathered black paint. Then place the loco on the layout and enjoy!

No comments: