Monday, February 22, 2016

Bullhead inspiration

Challenge Hull

Time for a bit of non-railway action. As most of projects involve assembling things, it's fun to do a bit of plasticard noodling as a break.

Our model boat club chairman's challenge this year calls for a working boat to be made from a standard hull. I arranged for the hulls from Sarik vaform and they are very nice. 33cm long and 13.5cm wide, although they look like a clinker built rowing boat, there are a lot of other possibilities.

I fancy a small working boat and years ago found this fantastic book for inspiration.

Pocket Cruisers Book

The plans are intended for people making full-size boats but that just means this is too much detail for modellers. The vessel that grabbed my attention was the 14' tug, Bullhead. 


My hull isn't quite correct but I reckon I can produce something in this style. There will be loads of room for motor and RC gear. All I need is to finalise the design. 

4 comments:

James Finister said...

Didn't Midwest Models used to do somethign alogn those lines, and a mini ferry as well?

Phil Parker said...

Can't see it in the current range. Anyway, kitbuildings's no fun - I've been looking through the plans and only a garage full of poorly VW stops me buying some big sheets of ply and doing it full size!

Chloe said...

It seems like the great plan. I love modeling, it's good thing to change the activity and it gives the rest to my mind. Creating something with hands make us more focused.

James Finister said...

I do like that design BTW. I remember buying a book on the Huntsville and Lake of Bays railway and ending up much more entranced by the lake steamers in it