Monday, May 10, 2021

The perfect boiler empty kit?

 
 
I'm getting in to running live steam models - far more then I expected to if I'm honest. They do need maintaining though and in my mind, one of the important post-run jobs is to empty the boiler of water. Getting liquid out is harder then putting it in, so when placing another order for rail clamps, I stuck this Boiler Emptying kit on the list at the same time.
 
What arrives is a syringe with a 20cm long vinyl (I think) hose that is 4.5mm in diameter.
 
It seems long enough to get into the recesses of both the Mamod and Willi boilers. According to the website, you are supposed to use it when the water is cold, but I didn't realise. The pipe became more flexible, but otherwise suffered no ill effects. It's stiffened up now anyway. Still very flexible though.
 

 I'm sure someone will tell me the whole thing could be made for tuppence ha'penny or something - and I did make my own but the tube was a big fat. Putting a modified pipette on the end helped, but this is a lot better. And I don't think a fiver is a lot to spend on keeping my engines working.

1 comment:

matt scrutton said...

fortunately this is not so important with copper boilers

but you are absolutely on the money with the mamod, even with distilled water they can suffer de-zincification of the brass boiler which results eventually in a "Das Boot" water feature.