Friday, October 22, 2021

Dublo vehicles

Dublo lorries

I've been looking for a Hornby Dublo VW van for many years. The originals aren't common, and those that appear are either tatty or expensive, or both. 

When Hornby announced a replica in their centenary range, I knew I'd be buying one so placed an order with my local model shop. The Covid happened and also the Hornby Tiers system put my local guy in Tier 3 which means high-demand items either don't turn up, or are very late. 

Grudgingly, I decided to take a quick look on eBay, where prices were normally 150% RRP - but patience paid off and I managed to snag a model for RRP plus postage.

Dublo VW

It's an interesting beast. The plastic baseplate is marked Oxford - which makes sense bearing in mind the connection between the companies. The decoration is top notch, but those "chrome" window surrounds are a long way from the "glass" and I don't think the front is vertical enough compared to a real VW. As I recall, on the puka Hornby Dublo (Meccano?) model, it was too upright. 

The Scammell purchase came about when I found myself in Chester Model Centre. Since my rule is that I always buy something if I visit a model shop, and I wasn't in need of anything really, the lorry was it. 

Dublo Scammell

Again, this is based on the standard Oxford casting, which looks the part. Decoration is also good. 

What to do with these models? Well, I could wrap them back up in their tissue paper, stick them in the collection and wait for the values to soar. But since everyone will be doing that, I'm inclinded to some matt varnish, flush glazing and even a bit of dirt so they can appear in the back of photos as set dressing.

2 comments:

Simon Hargraves said...

I agree with your evaluation of the T1s front...it looks way too raked out.
Scammell looks nice though.
As for making them look more realistic and thus useable as photo props...why not?
As you say, most of these "collector's" models will spend an existence sat in their boxes or possibly a display case, only to be taken out and end up in a charity shop or (heaven forbid) played with by the owners' grandkids after their demise.
I'm another one who can't leave a model shop without buying something, however irrelevant to whatever I'm currently doing it may be. It's a lot easier now I've started buying bits of Triang as there's usually some lurking somewhere!

Huw Griffiths said...

An interesting post - which raises the question of how many "revival" models use original / refurbished tooling (and, if they do, how much old tooling is used in individual models).

Also, when model manufacturers design new tooling, this also raises the question of what they measure, scan etc. before generating new tooling.

I suspect that we'll never get definitive answers to questions like these.

Obviously, I've never owned a VW van / bus - so I've got no way of knowing how the design of these vehicles changed over time. I don't know, so I can't say.


As for Hornby's "Tier" system, I wonder if it might end up backfiring.

I can understand them not being too keen on supplying companies they see as rivals. However, a "Tier" system which is liable to result in customer orders - which were placed in good faith - not being fulfilled in a timely manner, or at all, is unlikely to encourage brand loyalty from people like us.

Still, I guess that is the nature of the "beast" ... .