Friday, March 11, 2022

Tri-ang 12" Racing Yacht re-rig


I like model boats, I collect Tri-ang trains, so it's no great surprise that I own a few boats from the same firm. However, I don't own a yacht, mainly because I'm not into wind-powered craft. But them I spotted this one on eBay, and it was available for £12, and thought "Why not?"

OK, the box is battered, but the hull and the sails are intact. In theory, all I needed to do was replace a few bits of string and it would be as good as new. Or at least as close to that as matters to me. 

Balancing the boat while I worked on it was the first problem. Not owning a suitable stand for something with as deep a keel as this, I improvised with a couple of kitche rolls held together with a belt. It might look a bit Heath-Robinson, but it worked a treat, holding the model perfectly while I fiddled with it.

My rigging of choice is Lincatex Linen Thread. It's about the right thickness, if a bit white. It should be strong enough for the job anyway. 
 
Working out where everything  should go was helped by a diagram on the back of the box, which mostly showed me what I needed to do. No mention of replacing a fitting under the jib which had rusted away of course, but everything else seemd OK. The sails move, can be tightened if necessary, and since I haven't a clue what I'm doing, I suspect will be left as they are, and the elastic band on the tiller will centre the rudder. 
 
Will all of this work? No idea. At some point I'll put it on the lake and see. For the moment it all looks pretty. More importantly, another project ticked off the list, and that's what matters most. 

1 comment:

Colin said...

I'd forgotten I had one of those! Don't walk backwards alongside the lake while sailing it. Especially not when your parents don't warn you of the big hole in the bank.