Sunday, November 20, 2022

IPMS Telford 2022

Bouncing bomb

Final stop for my fun weekend was Telford for the International Plastic Modellers Society exhibition. For the first time, I drove to the show, which meant there was a whole car to fill with kits...

The show has shrunk very slightly since the pre-Covid days, but the main change is that the competition models are now in hall 3. Since this is the first time ever for me seeing those, I wasn't going to complain. As it was, I'd have been sad to miss them, including the incredible Lancaster diorama seen above. That water effect looked every bit as as amazing in real life as it does in the photo. 

Since you ask, cast clear resin, wadding, golden gloss medium, Tamiya acrylics, Deluxe Materials Icy Sparkles, Micro Baloons, AK Snow Sprinkles, Woodland Scenics soft flake snow, Tamiya snow texture - and a whole lot of skill went into it. 

As is my wont, I largely ignored the military models, it's pretty much the only way I get around a show this big, but there was still loads to catch my eye, and camera. 

Brede lifeboat

This 1:20 scale Brede is possibly the best model I've seen of the class. Based on a Mountfield Models kit, I enjoyed a long chat with the builder who was happy to show me the detailed interior and how the radio control (yes, it's a working model) was fitted. Regular readers will know I've built a Brede to the same scale, so I'll not be rushing to buy a kit, but it was inspiring.

Churchill tank biscuits

Normally, the cake is a bit rubbish at Telford, but this year, thanks to the Churchill Tank SIG, things improved. While many stands gave away sweets, these guys had baked some delicious biscuits, and cut them to a suitable shape thanks to a cutter found on Etsy. 

To be honest, I could rattle on about this show all day, but my fingers are tired from typing, so head over to Flickr for a big photo dump full of good things.

No comments: