Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Repaying my Dad, one kit at a time

 

Young Phil benefitted from a Dad who had a repository of plastic kits, many of which he was allowed to build. When I say build, I was probably about 10 or 12, and while I could stick things together, and slap some paint on them, the results weren't great. I enjoyed them though.

Needless to say, those kits helped turn me into the modeller I am today. I like to think my abilities with glue and paint have improved a bit, but we're all on a learning curve. 

One range of kits I remember were the "Those Magnificent Flying Machines" set. My Dad was into aeroplanes, and had aquired these for some reason. And he let me build them. 

Of course, time passes, and now these things are collectable. I've seen them on sale for £60 several times. We're into the buy it and stick the thing on a shelf world at that price, unless you are really keen.


But, I always felt a little guilty about sticking my way through these kits, and so when one turned up on eBay for sensible money, I snapped it up, and it became part of my Dad's birthday present a couple of weeks ago. 

Quite what he's going to do with it is a conundrum. Parker senior is not exactly short of potential projects himself, so I think this is going to be a long way down the queue! 

And no, I'm not looking to replace the rest of the set. Well, not unless I spot some more bargains...

No comments: