Monday, August 24, 2026

Model trams haul

7/8th scale Groudle Coaches

This was supposed to be a cheap show! So, how did I come away from it a couple of hundred quid lighter? Not money spent on cake either...

Dodging the smelliest person I have ever encountered at a show while browsing the TLRS second-hand stand, I spotted some 7/8th scale Groudle Glean Railway coaches in the corner. Making my way over to them, partly to avoid the stench, I whipped out my pocket ruler (we all have one don't we?) and checked that the wheels were 45mm gauge. 

Closer inspection showed these to be an average-built set of IP Engineering kits. I don't like the livery on the ends, and the woodwork could do to be a darker colour, but you know what? They are a set of coaches to go with my Sea Lion. I have a feeling there are kits in the stash, at least I hope so as they don't appear that often, but these are built. One needs a coupling pocket rebuilt on the end, but they are built. I could run them. 

After a little negotiation on the price, realistically, I was likely to be the only person after something like this I pointed out, and they were stashed under the stand. It's opportunities like these that mean I enjoy a second-hand stall more than any amount of shiny new stuff. 

Of course, these weren't the only weird things I picked up.

Atlas Lisbon tram for a fiver in its box? Yes please. I really must go back there, ride more and take plenty of photos. Manx Electric Railway supplement - can't remember if I have a copy but why risk it for a quid? It's a good read too. 

The books were a cash donation. Vauxhall Cars is for my Mum. I was born in Luton, and her dad worked for "The Vauxhall" like so many others in the town, and she remembers him owning many of the cars in there. Mr Whippy is because I like ice cream, and it's the sort of history that fascinates me. So far, I've learnt that their headquarters were down the road from me in Leamington Spa!

And finally.  

Backwoods kits

Impulse buys. The four-wheel railbus is one I've eyed up in the 009 Society cabinet a few times, but never really thought much about it. The other is just an interesting kit. Both for 1/3rd the price they would sell for on eBay. They always say you regret the things you don't do, and I'd have kicked myself for not picking these up. Maybe I was the only person in the hall who would have bought them, I'm sure I'm one of the few who handed over the money intending to build them. 

And yes, I know my kit stash is bigger than it sensibly should be. But each one is a little dream, and I can live with that.  

No comments: