Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Little people drinking tea


Little people drinking tea
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
While the Hospital layout is out of its cupboard for tinkering, I managed to finish painting the extra people I bought for it a few weeks ago.

They have been sat on lumps of Blu-tak for ages but with a little concentrated effort I completed the painting.

One problem is choosing the colours. All the photos from the period (1900) show dark colours and a lot of black. However early films weren’t that sensitive so much of the black was probably dark greys and browns. This is what I have assumed at least. White shirts are Humbrol 147, a very pale grey.

The final touch is to wash each figure with a very weak matt black. This settles in the creases of the clothes and gives a little shadow. I don’t like the military modellers hyper-realism with extreme highlights and shadows. A more gentle version fits my modelling style. Likewise I don’t paint in eyeballs, facial hair is enough for me. You can’t see someone’s eyeballs from 50 feet away in real life and that’s about how you view models.

No comments: