Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Chassis in primer


Primered Chassis
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
With things running, the wheels come out and the chassis goes into primer.

Luckily I looked in the bag of castings and spotted that some springs are provided to go behind the wheels. This is one of the first, if not the the first that has featured these. I’ve certainly never used whitemetal ones before.

A bit of thinning down was required so they weren’t proud of the bearings but my coarse file sorted this. You wouldn’t want to be messing around with a needle file here ! If you don’t have a coarse inch wide file, use emery paper stuck to a board to keep the sanded surface flat.

I also soldered the sandboxes in place, taking the positions relative to the relevant bits on the body. I did remember to check that the wheels would still revolve after they were attached.

Finally, after a clean, the chassis is sprayed with etched primer.

No comments: