Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Promenade handrails


Promenade handrails
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Railway modellers have huge numbers of bits and pieces available. You’d think there would be nothing a layout builder could want for. Not true though, when I’m being a 3mm scale modeller I often find I have to improvise – good news as that’s the bit I like best. There’s no satisfaction (for me anyway, you may feel differently) in just buying things and plonking them down on the railway.

For the promenade I needed some handrails. We don’t want the little people falling into the sea do we ? The trade seems to have omitted them from their plans.

No worries though. 1:100 is a common boat modelling scale and I build model boats. The other handrail stanchions came from Deans Marine. Sadly they didn’t have any at the model boat show. While mail order may be OK, I can’t do a credit card thing for less than a couple of quid can I ?

A trip to Midway Models in Leicester sorted me out though. They had some lovely brass ones that take 0.45mm wire. I drilled small pilot holes and then banged them into place with a hammer – the ends are pointed like nails so I assume that’s how you are supposed to work. Hitting things with a hammer is never a bad idea is it ?

No comments: