Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Ruston rods


Ruston rods
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Gauge 1 kits are different from 4mm ones. Heavier mainly.

Laminating the rods up for this model locomotive is exactly the same as for a smaller kit - just bigger. The results weigh in at over 25g. I've built loco kits that are nearly as light as that !

Weight means heat retention too. I made the mistake of picking a part up around 20 seconds after I'd finished soldering it. I dropped it again pretty quickly with a yelp and went off to cool my fingertips under the tap...

For a diesel the rods are odd. The strange take-off to the jackshaft drive for example which hinges on the rear pivot (I know I've put one lamination on wrong and will fix it so don't bother telling me) what's that about ?

No comments: