Monday, June 10, 2019

Oil bowser

I'm trying to work my way through a box of kits that have been acquired over the last couple of years. It's a mixed box, but I'm keen to get some of these smaller projects out of the way.

Anyway, first up is this oil bowser wagon kit from Phil Sharples. It's based on a Binnie skip chassis with some laser-cut MDF bits to provide the body.

There's also a turned wooden oil barrel and some lengths of wire. Not bad for around a tenner.Garden railways can be bargain railways!

3 comments:

Huw Griffiths said...

I wonder how many of these projects will end up in future editions of Garden Rail.

As for any moulded wheels, I suspect they might be another matter - unless they get "repurposed".

Phil Parker said...

The moulded wheels are fine, round and hard-wearing. I could replace them with metal but can't see any advantage in this scale.

Huw Griffiths said...

Fair enough - glad to hear it.

I just had memories of wheels in some kits (albeit smaller scale) that had been less than brilliant - bits of moulding runners (or "sprues", as some people mistakenly call them) on the treads or flanges - not round or concentric - stuff like that.

Not knowing "your" kit, I had no way of knowing what the wheels might be like - so, inevitably, there was an element of "fear of the unknown" in my comment.

I'm looking forward to finding out how this build progresses / works.