Tuesday, August 20, 2019

A little industrial scene


Once I'd built an engine shed for a 48DS in issue 119 of the Hornby Collectors Club magazine, it seemed sensible to put this in a small scene suitable for posing tiny locomotives and perhaps some road vehicles.

In issue 120, I've built the display up to include some inlaid track, essential to allow the loco to fit in the shed, plus a few background buildings which I've made from a single structure. Plus a water tower because what sort of industrial site doesn't have a water tower?

There's a lot of weathering powder going on here which keeps construction and decoration nice and simple. It's going to be a useful photo backdrop for me - but would be an ideal corner filler for a larger layout. 

2 comments:

Woz said...

G'day Phil,

Why do you call it a water tower ?
This seems to me to be an American term as here in Australia our railways were mostly British developed & for as long as I've heard about the railway scene (prototype & modelling)water tank has been the local terminology as it seems to have been past down through the generations.
I'm a couple of years older than you.

Cheers Woz

Phil Parker said...

Water tower is a standard UK term. We'd know what a water tank is, but might not immediately think of it on top of a tower, it could just as easily be one buried in the ground.