Tuesday, July 07, 2020

Stopping the water




Working out how the water was getting in to the hull didn't take a lot of thought. As I examined the join line between the two halves, I spotted that there were some tiny gaps at the back around the prop tube.

It might be that when I inserted the new tube, I didn't open out the hole as much as I should have. Whatever, I decided to go for a belt'n'braces approach to the fix.

A think piece of microstrip was laid over the entire join. Fixed in place with cement and then solvent, I pushed it hard into any gaps - even imaginary ones.

Them some cheap epoxy was mixed and forced down the back of the boat to really fill the problem area.

Hopefully this will sort things. By the way, apologies for the static grass on the hull - the stuff gets everywhere!



While fiddling, I've taken the opportunity to fit a smaller prop to the model. The large version was OK, but was going to provide too much thrust making scale speed sailing difficult. Hopefully the smaller version will be entirely submerged yet give enough go to the finished model. Once the glue dries and it stops raining, I'll find out.

1 comment:

Graham p said...

Blustering barnacles!
Your getting serious with your, weathering that static grass looks like it's supposed to be their as barnacle's perhaps more might slow her down even more for you !
Graham