Monday, June 21, 2021

Posters

 

Under the Selly Oak bridge, there are some billboards. Looking at old photos, these have always been there, so they provide a welcome opportunity to add a bit of colour to what is a very grey scene. 

My problem is that we need to cover the late 1960s to early 1970s, and advertising design changed a lot in that period. A fair bit of time was taken finding images that would look OK in all period before printing them, out to fit the boards I have built. 

These aren't anything special - just pictures printed on normal paper. I wound the colour saturation back by about 35% and then gave them a good coat of matt varnish. This last step will protect them from fading (I hope) and mutes the colours a bit further so they sit in the scene rather than dominate it. 

Annoyingly, when I took the photos, I realised, one board had slipped while the glue dried, so will need to be removed and re-fixed. I'm happy with the effect though and it's helping to bring the scene alive. Good thing too - as there are two more boards to erect and the big beer advert on the front of the bridge to come.



No comments: