Sunday, December 05, 2021

Looking for my mojo in a Lego Beetle

 

My creative mojo is still missing - I can get on with work, but enthusiasm for making anything for fun just isn't there. All those projects aquired in fits of eagerness over the years aren't calling to me. Even part finished models like the Hudswell Clarke shunter sit on the workbench, untouched for weeks. 

A bit part of this is that I'm busy. Very busy. And that's dented passion for pretty much anything I used to enjoy. Not a good place to be, but there are many who are far worse off, so I can't complain. And if I do, people are welcome to tell me to shut up. Even if I'm whining about a Windows re-install suddenly forced on me right when things were manic...

The good news is that the workload should start to ease right now. And with a bit of luck, I'll have some downtime I want to fill with interesting and unusual stuff, which can then appear on here. 

So, for the moment, posts will still be sporadic, and very likely a bit random, but then this is my blog - if I want to be wierd, then that's my perogative. Sorry about this (not the weirdness, the lack of posts).

However, the other evening, I found time to unpack and build a Lego Beetle  that has been kicking around my office for many months. Truth is, I can't remember when I bought it, possibly over a year ago. 

Anyway, a very pleasent hour was spent putting the bricks together. OK, you can argue it's not "proper" modelling, but it's a box off the pile and more importantly, I enjoyed it. As I always say, if you are enjoying a hobby, you are doing it right. 




7 comments:

geoffinOz said...

There is nothing wrong with going back to your childhood to kick start activities. Lego is fun and relaxing, unless it is technical kit, but they would not give you much of a strain, do things for fun is the best form of relaxing and unwinding.
Enjoy the Beetle, where are you going to surf?? Oz is good.

Phil Parker said...

Geof - I have a feeling that me on a surfboard would mostly involve falling in the water! And while the water in Oz might be warm, it's going to be a very long while before we are allowed to travel.

Falling in the local river definitely doesn't appeal! :-)

Paul B. said...

I haven't had much enthusiasm at all this year, possibly due to work (7 days a week in the summer!). I have however been learning to sew again, darning socks, cross-stitch, making bunting for the house etc. Just simple stuff, but I like to learn a new skill every year. Last year it was shaving with a cutthroat, next year maybe stand up paddleboarding. Model railways will always be there in the background though, awaiting my return. And I always do return.

Phil Parker said...

Paul - Learning a new skill each year is a good idea. You'll have to excuse my lack of interest in balancing on a water-borne plank though.

James Finister said...

That does seem as much 2CV as Bug.

My weakness is for Cobi models - who do a rather good 2CV.

Oh, Like Paul B I began learning t stand up paddleboarding this year, on the Bude Canal. It could be handy to retrieve lost RC boats.

I'm regretting the decision not to put a partition between the office part of my garden building and the studio part, so I could distinguish between work and hobby better.

Phil Parker said...

Oh, that's bad. I had to look up Cobi models and realise I've been impressed with them at the London Toy Fair in the past (I feel the need to check they don't have any trains in the range...). The Police Trabant is rather nice.

Mikkel said...

Sorry to hear that the mojo is missing Phil. It's a funny thing, the hobby is supposedly there to help us relax from work pressure, but when the pressure is worst the mojo tends to be at it's lowest. Perhaps because modelling does require a degree of discipline, which is the last thing you need when you're stressed out with work. I think your approach is right though, little things like that lovely beetle can help put the fun back into things.