Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Time for the orange

 


At least the colour choice is easy for this model. Over a white primer coat, I airbrushed (couldn't get a rattle can) on several thin layers of Humbrol orange enamel. I don't like working with gloss, but didn't have any choice. 

After a couple of  day, on went the transfers. Another day drying and it was time for varnish. 

Five minutes with a spray can of satin, it all went wrong. Acrylics and enamels don't like each other unless you leave them a very long while. I didn't, and the result looks like a coat of Hammerite. 

And so the model has headed for the bin. Yes, I could look at stripping it, but I'd still have no transfers, and its not an expensive kit. 

Bond will be back...

4 comments:

Mark said...

Oh dear. I hate varnishing models as it's the one step where I've had my own share of catastrophes. As you say at least it's not an expensive kit but still a shame.

As for the orange.... is it just me or does Humbrol seem to have stopped doing all but a tiny range of paints in rattle cans? I wanted to pick up some more orange and yellow both of which I've bought before but I can't find them anywhere. Can't even find them listed on Humbrol's own page.

Paul B. said...

Somehow it's reassuring that other people make mistakes, and even more so that they admit that mistakes are made. It would be too easy when writing blogs to pretend that everything works out perfect all the time.
It's still a bummer tho'. But at least one that we can all learn from.

Phil Parker said...

Paul - I'm sure everyone makes mistakes, but many won't admit it, or explain how they bodged their way out. This is IMHO more offputting to beginners than showing them models that have been made, rather than bought. I don't know any modeller of any standard who doesn't have a few "learning exercises" in the cupboard...

Mark - I agree. The Humbrol rattlecan range doesn't seem to have shrunk. No idea why. Sadly, Tamiya (available at Hobbycraft) hasn't, but the orange wasn't quite right for the Bond.

Christopher said...

Oh no!! It all seemed to be going so well… I think I have read similar tales of woe on model aircraft forums. In the past I have used “T-Cut” to good effect on “orange peel” cellulose paint, but whether it would have worked on Humbrol varnish?

As for Humbrol paints, I have regrettably concluded that Hornby (mis)management was never really interested in them and has pretty much killed them off as a serious modelling range. (A “managed decline” anyone?) Apart from the documented quality control issues, the enamel paint range has recently been drastically reduced to just over 100 colours (the “best sellers”), so this might impact the spray can range as well? The full range of colours is supposed to be available as Humbrol acrylics, but I have no experience of these and to be honest, I would now spend my money elsewhere to get predictable and reliable results. All so sad!