Thursday, October 02, 2008

Chassis bits


Chassis bits
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
The first job step towards the new chassis was to dismantle the old one. First off were the brakes which just needed the top joint desoldering.

Next were the crank pins were unscrewed to remove the rods. That's after I realised they were nuts rather than soldered washers when I tired to desolder one - ruining the wheel sadly. Good job I'd assumed they would all need to be replaced.

The wheels were fitted by cutting a slot across the end of the axle and then forcing a bit of wire into this and the face of the wheel in the manner of a woodruff key. This allowed the wheels to be pulled off whole and I suspect usable again.

Heat and brute force (gently hammering a screwdriver into the end of the axle) took the gear off which released the motor and gearbox.

Finally the odds and sods of wire came off. I've kept these for the minute but doubt they will be recycled.

Stripped chassisThe chassis then had a dunk in paint stripped which proved I did a rather better job of applying the stuff in the first place than I though as I didn't end up with bright shiny metal as expected. Still, it's clean enough for the next stage, hacking chunks out to fit the hornblocks.

No comments: