Thursday, October 30, 2008

Stuck bit


Stuck bit
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
This is the last cylinder face to be drilled for the Garratt. Having done 3 without difficulty I was confident. At which point the job went pear shaped.

The photo shows a drill bit firmly stuck in the casting. As far as I could tell the heat generated in the drilling had fused the two parts together. Or something like that, I'm sure the scientists out there will explain better than I.

Anyway, swearing it it didn't work (it's always worth a try though) so I took a saw to the stub that fits inside the cylinder and chopped it in half. The blade hit the bit so I worked around it and was eventually able to pull the waster material off. this released the bit and after a quick clean up the part is ready for the model locomotive.

No comments: