Sunday, December 21, 2008

On30 Tipper wagon


On30 Tipper waggon
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
A coat of primer and it's time to start the painting process. Having read "The Art of Weathering" this model seemed like a suitable candidate for the flaking rust technique. To achieve this the theory is that you paint some bits in rust colours which when dry have Maskol (a rubbery masking substance, think non-stick Evo Stick) blobbed on them. Then you paint the wagon. Once it's dry the Maskol is picked off with tweezers revealing rust.

I tried it and it's rubbish. Mind you I've never really liked the results in the book or when I've seen them carried out on other peoples' models.

I did try to soften the edges of the rust patches with the airbrush but in the end I just painted the whole thing with browns and greys. Once my rust patches had been covered up the results weren't bad.

Feeling that more effort ought to be expended and since this is a test piece so I might as well experiment, I tried out some MIG acrylic paint. This took a fair bit of thinning and when I ran it into the crevasses didn't do anything for me. Mind you I've never got on with acrylic paints.

Finally I attached the model with weathering powders. These have worked for me in the past imparting colour and texture as required. Sadly they reacted with the MIG paint, which hadn't dried fully, and just went black. Overnight drying made things look a whole lot better so I assume the effect is only temporary.

The end result looks pretty nice. It's suitably crusty and worn without being completely knackered - in other words just the sort of thing you'd see on a working railway line.

No comments: