Thursday, February 02, 2012

One man's rubbish...

Railcar frontWhen you look at this picture, some of you will be saying "That's a Waggon & Maschinenbau railcar".

Others will be saying "That's that railcar that Heljan are doing isn't it ?"

Both would be right. Well sort of.

What it is, is the Silver Fox models resin bodied version of the Waggon & Maschinenbau railcar. It's been on the market for a few years and is about to have its sales torpedoed by Heljan's offering.

I picked this model up for a tenner at a show recently. It comes complete with motor, wheels, gears and the metal unit they fit in. Basically, all I have to do is put the bits together, glaze it and I have a nice little model.

The quality of the resin moulding is excellent. I doubt that the plastic version will be any better. Detail courtesy of brass horns and wire handrails will guild the lilly. As a companion to my Dapol based Park Royal railbus, it will be lovely.

Now, most people wouldn't look twice at the box of bits I bought, which is why I picked it up for a tenner. That's a good thing. For me anyway !

Silver Fox website.

1 comment:

Iain Robinson said...

That looks great. I have fond memories of riding one of these on the K&WVR early one morning in '72.
The thing is, as I see it... the newly released RTR model will be almost perfect, but it won't have the character of something handmade. I look forward to the results of your craftsmanship!