Thursday, November 23, 2023

Steaming with a head torch

Phil steaming at night

On bonfire night (5th November for non-UK readers. When we traditionally burn Catholics and eat baked potato) it was back out to do a little charity steaming. This time we were collecting for the Warwickshire Air Ambulance

Reaslising it would be dark, I invested in a head torch so I could see what I was doing, and not set fire to myself. 

A chilly evening, we weren't as well patronised as in the warmer months, but a steam procession of little chuffing locos kept us all entertaining. When we weren't scoffing jacket spud and the odd cake that is. 

Seeing other people's locos can be a bad thing as temptation is always lurking for the garden railway enthusiast. The evening started with a 16mm scale "Diana" - not the 7/8th scale Accucraft model, but a scratchbuilt example. 

Then there was a cracking Locoboxes Garratt.


It might have waggly cylinders, but this example trundled around perfectly, and (maybe it was dark) you didn't really notice. 

I'd taken my Ragleth and Merlin locos. The latter would have benefitted from thicker steam oil, but one going, steamed well enough. Ragleth just gets on with it and chugged away well. OK, maybe not the most exciting loco, as there are so many out there, but it's a nice steam. 

One problem, I forgot to check the batteries in the radio control unit, which decided to beep anoyingly. Of course, I didn't have any spares, and couldn't turn it off while the loco was in steam! Another lesson to learn.

1 comment:

BR60103 said...

Phil: I have a number of head torches (I call them "miner's lamps"). I bought them to use when out in the motorhome or trailer (caravan?). Something always has to be done outside at night and the headlamp puts light right where you're looking and reduces arguments with partner about what needs to be illuminated.
Observe the warning that it should not point directly into someone else's face.