Wednesday, February 21, 2024

New techniques

 

There's a slight snag with building Ivor. The power to half the sockets in our house are electricity-free. Two electricians have investigated, and the second one is coming back to have another look and see if he can fix it for more than 14 hours. 

Of course, my workbench is in the dead zone, so soldering has to be carried out with the gas torch, which demands a slightly different technique to the Antex. The joint has to be prepared, fluxed and a little bit of solder put in place. Then hold it all together and blast with heat. It's not as easy, but I've managed to get some joins made - at the cost of two burnt fingers!

You might ask why I don't use the soldering iron attachment instead - simple it seems to take forever to warm up, and I couldn't be bothered to wait. Anyway, blowing solder around joints is good fun!

So, it works, but I'll be glad when the power returns to the sockets!

No comments: