Monday, June 19, 2006

Fixing an old friend


Watch strap repair
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Breaking things is bad, fixing things is satisfying.

My duff weekend included breaking my watch. I tugged at the strap and it came off in my hand. No real surprise considering my fun with the seal on the van.

OK, it’s only a cheap watch but there was plenty of life in it. Besides, it’s the watch I use while doing mucky jobs. Impervious to water, oil, petrol and other nasty fluids, the trusty Casio goes on. It keeps reasonable time too ! My Scottish roots won’t let me buy a new watch for this job.

The break was unusual as the sprung bar that the strap pivots on and attaches to the body, hadn’t broken. A chunk had broken off the watch body itself. Clipping it back in and then adding a blob of Zap-a-Gap on the end of a pin seemed to fix it. I think a bit more help is required so a blob of epoxy glue will go over the superglue. If I don’t glue everything solid I might actually have fixed it !

No comments: