Wednesday, June 21, 2006

G2


G2 Chassis
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Clear the decks, a new project has arrived. A G2 in 7mm scale.

Yet another Mercian kit but I’m not using the chassis because Trevor was able to supply me with a milled brass one. It even had the wheels and rods fitted.

The loco has flangless wheels and the chassis was correctly fitted with these – but only on one side. For some reason the wheel was in the wrong position on the other side. I suspect when turning the model around and putting the wheels on the builder got confused. I rectified this when installing the rather nice motor and gearbox.

Then I found a problem. The wheels are cast iron (wrong spoke pattern but we’ll ignore that), drilled and tapped for the crankpins. The builder hadn’t been very accurate with this on one wheel. I tired running it without the crankpin and everything seemed fine. The solution was to ream the hole in the con rod out to huge and let the pin wallow around. It looks OK as long as you don’t use a magnifying glass.

Since this is intended for a garden railway I don’t suppose it matters. A friend was telling me this evening about the damage a loco of this size can do to a slug – and the fun of getting it out afterwards ! You don’t look too carefully after that I suppose.

No comments: