Monday, June 26, 2006

More filters


More filters
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
With muck in the fuel still being a stumbling block (literally) for my Type 2, I had another go at filtering. If I run fuel out of the pipe in the engine bay, it is clean. Pump it through the fuel pump and it’s filthy.

So, I wonder (grasping for straws), is the pump contaminating the fuel ?

Only one way to find out, fit a filter before and after the pump. A bit fiddly but do-able. The first filter has enough pipe on it that I could remove it and the right hand tube, connecting the line from the metal fule pipe straight to the pump. I reasoned this would be quick in a roadside situation.

38 miles later the van had run perfectly. The post pump filter was clean and the pre-pump cruddy. However 38 miles is the best I’ve done in a while, especially as there should be plenty more life in the filter yet.

Of course what I’m slowly coming around to is the idea that the tank is going to have to come out and have it’s inside sealed. I really don’t want to do this ‘cos it will cost a load of cash for engine removal. Even then if I don’t get the sealing right first time I’ll need to do it all again.

Do people with Japanese cars ever have this problem ?

No comments: