Saturday, June 17, 2006

A nagging little voice

Old car owners know this feeling. You walk out of the door each morning and all you see of your car is a bubble. A bubble in the paint that says only one thing – RUST. I calls to you, loudly in an anoying voice. It nags even when you aren’t looking at it. In your dreams the rust monster is eating your beloved car. You can never be free.

So I’ve given in. I know in my heart of hearts that things only get worse if left unattended. I poked around in the bubbles on the rear seam of my Type 2 with a knife. There are more bubbles than I thought (OK I’d ignored these but in my defence they were very shallow) but underneath I found the classic car owners friend, solid metal. There was only one tiny hole which I’ve photographed. How lucky am I ?! I scraped, chipped and hit it with the 3M rust removal disc and found solid metal all the way. Quite a depth of filler though.

Anyway, the metal has been well treated with rust killer and I’m going to be good and let it dry for the time it says on the tin. Then all (all ?!?) I have to do is fill and paint.

Perhaps by Monday all I will see is slightly mis-matched paint.

No comments: