Monday, May 14, 2007

Engine bay sealed


T2 engine bay
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Good news – the metal piece I bought from Stanford Hall turned out to in much better condition than I thought. Once cleaned with a 3M paint stripping disk in the electric drill I found only mild surface rust. The small tears remain but most disappeared under the engine bay seal anyway.

Before fitting I painted the underside with grey Hammerite and the top in gloss black. With the newly painted engine bay the effect is really pleasing. Just like one of those proper buses you see at shows.

With all the cooling stuff in place it was time to start him up. First turn of the key and the engine roared into life. OK so there was no tickover to speak of but I cured this by going out and buying a can of petrol – there being enough to start but not quite enough to keep the engine running if you didn’t rev it.

A few little jobs left and I can take him for a run. Woo hoo !

No comments: