Sunday, May 20, 2007

OK Skipper


unpaintedskipper
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
With a week to go before Tomsk is supposed to be towing model boats in anger, he needs a skipper. I know it doesn’t really matter but to me a boat (or model railway engine for that matter) needs a driver or the whole thing looks daft. Some people prefer to avoid miniature people as it spoils the purity of the model but not me.

Tomsk’s captain comes from the George Turner 1/32nd range. I had to guess the size because the kit isn’t to a particular scale so I working things out from the heights quoted on the web site.

When I placed him in the wheelhouse he didn’t fill the space as I’d hoped. Width wise we were OK but I wanted someone taller. Running the ruler over the model I reckoned that I could add 4mm to the legs without ruining the proportions.

The model was cut off at the top of the wellington boots as these gave an obvious join line where I could hide my additions. The legs were re-joined by supergluing in some plasticard. The surface was then made good with model filler. A bit of scraping with a knife blade once this was dry and I don’t think you will be able to spot the join. I’ll only be able to tell for sure once the paint goes on.

No comments: