Friday, November 28, 2008

Painted VW Model


Painted VW Model
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
A couple of coats of primer and a little more titivating had the model ready for paint. Consulting one of my many books on VeeDubs looking to to see what colours were available when the bay window was first released, I discovered that the original paint scheme was different to the way most vans are painted now.

If you look at nearly every van, it will be in two colours. White, or a very pale shade down to the swage line and a darker hue below this. The correct split for the colours if you are restoring an early bay is apparently at the roof line. For the modeller this is good news as it makes an easy masking job or a good hard line to work against for those brush painting.

Wanting as discrete a model as possible I went for a creamy beige with white roof. Indicators, door handles and the spare wheel cover were picked out. The whole lot topped of with a coat of satin varnish - this is a brand new car after all.

The glazing was replaced with Krystal Klear which isn't bad but the windscreen isn't great, a bit concave for realism.

Finally the model was reassembled. The foreign number plates went black, they should have silver digits but that's to fiddly for me, and black rubber steps on the ends of the bumpers.

The model replaces a Springside Morris Minor on the Dock. Admittedly it's a bit early to see one of these but as I always say - It's my train set so I'll do what I want.

No comments: