Monday, October 23, 2023

Rothenberger Micro Soldering Iron & Torch Kit

 

Rothenberger Micro Soldering Iron & Torch Kit

Last week, I mentioned that my gas soldering iron was leaking, making it useless. A replacement was in order, and after a little digging around online, I opted for the cheapest option that could be picked up locally, the Rothenberger Micro Soldering Iron & Torch Kit from Screwfix

The kit is more comprehensive than it reall needs to be, containing the gas torch, a soldering iron bit, hot knife, a couple more nozzles, solder and a cleaning sponge. All in a nice carrying case, which seems strong enough to survive a bit of abuse.

Fiddling around, the soldering iron confused me. You can't unscrew the torch to fit it, and only after puzzling with the instructions for a while, did I realise that bit fits over the torch. The other parts then screw on to the end of the soldering bit, in place of the pointy bit. 


Of course, it was the torch I wanted, so I filled it from a cigarette lighter filler, it takes very little gas, so I assume the reservoir isn't huge. 

Turning the gas on using the nicely clicky slide switch, and pointing the end at a lighter fires up the flame. The length of this can be set using the control on the side. It roars quite nicely, and provides plenty of heat to melt solder on an O gauge kit. Just what I want. 

First impressions are positive. I'll let you know how I get on later.

No comments: