Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Two hours soldering

 

Two hours soldering while watching The Great British Bakeoff (sort of watching, paying more attention to the brass than the cakes). 

  • Nuts attached to the footplate, in the right place (took two goes for one of them)
  • Bufferbeams made from two layers of brass, sweated together. 
  • Solebars bent up, and the overlays fitted in the channel. 
  • The whole lor cleaned up with Hob Brite. 

I wonder if all the overlays tell me a bit about the era this kit was designed in? Would a more modern production require me to bomp out the rivets/bolts with a press? I'd prefer that to sweating layers of brass together if I'm honest. I even considered leaving the solebar overlays off for the moment and fixing them with superglue once all the hot work was complete. 

Still, the gas torch did the job, and I enjoyed blowing solder along the edges of the solebars.

1 comment:

Mark said...

I think I'd prefer the overlays no matter how much hassle they are to fit (and yes I might have gone the superglue route as well). I don't (yet) own a proper rivet press so etched kits that need the rivets doing by hand are a nightmare as I never get them identical and there is always the risk of popping through the sheet.