Wednesday, October 11, 2023

The Alan Gibson files: Garratt front end

Copyright Alan Gibson

While searching for something at the railway club, I found a folder full of black and white photos, taken by my friend, the late Alan Gibson (the photographer, not the wheelmaker as he used to say) and thought it would be interesting to bring them to a wider audience. 

This first, shot, the most interesting of the selection, shows the front tank from one of the 0-4-0 + 0-4-0 Garratt locomotives that operated in the UK. Alan lived in Nuneaton, so he wouldn't have been far from Atherstone, where the loco now living at Bressingham worked. 

I've never seen a picture of an unattached front end. If you click on it, you'll get the full-size version. There's some good detail of the valve gear and fallplate for modellers, including me if I ever get around to my model!

2 comments:

Phil Mortimer said...

Great picture! Wish I’d known about it when I built the two I’ve done!

Jim H said...

Looks to have been taken at Bressingham. Two steam rollers that are still in the collection and what looks like a ploughing engine (if so, now sold) in the background on the right. Not sure what the semi portable is in the background on the left.