Monday, August 11, 2008

Planked deck


Planked deck
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Creating a fancy planked deck has always been one of my objectives with this model boat. How I've drooled over those seen at boat shows over the years and wanted to create something similar.

Well, now I have.

I started by running planks around the side of the launch. The outside edges were cut to follow the hull. Once dry a pair of compasses marked the line to cut with a sharp scalpel on the inner edge. Next some mahogany strip was soaked in water and glued around the inside of this.

The main planking is 15mm wide basswood and the first plank at the back was carefully glued in place with lots of care as it sets the line for all following work.

From that start the rest of the deck is built up. Each part has to be cut individually but that's not too painful, just time consuming. However long it takes the work has been satisfying so far and I'm pleased with the result.

As an experiment, and 'cos I couldn't wait to see the finished result, the back of the deck has been sanded down. You see the mahogany strips stand taller than the basswood planks but a few (OK, quite a few) minutes with a sander bring everything together and I got the result I wanted.

Once everything is sanded there is some combing and toe rails to go in and then I get to varnish. That's when this deck will come alive and I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: