Thursday, August 14, 2008

Woodwork


Varnished boat
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
In between other jobs I've gradually been adding the wooden bits to the fantail launch. Most has been pretty simple except for the coming around the inside of the cockpit. This is 1mm thick mahogany. A couple of parts were die cut for the sides but the front is strip that needs a serious bend putting in it and the material isn't at all flexible as supplied.

I soaked the wood in boiling water for quarter of an hour and then gently worked it into a curve around a tin can. A couple of elastic bands sort of held it in place for an hour when I fitted it to the boat. I know the instructions say to leave it on the can overnight but I decided it would be better in place where exactly the right bend would form.

The only other point of note were the seats - I managed to cut the wrong bit of wood for the back of the rear seat leaving me short for the front pew. With the back of this being basswood I simply used some scrap from another sheet of the same material. This looks better and hides my embarrassment.

The mahogany always looked a bit dull to me but one I gave it the first coat of yacht varnish the colour came out. The basswood planking looks good too - the grain now shows up. I think all that sanding has stained the bass though as it's a lot redder than I expected. Not unattractive but some thinner dark wood might have been better.

No comments: