Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Christmas on the SVR

Taw Valley

Feeling like a good boy for getting my work done before last Saturday, I treated myself to a day out watching steam trains. For me, the easiest way to do this is to hop on a train and visit the Severn Valley Railway. Lots of happy train riding and book reading time with the promise of something worth seeing at the end of the journey.

I've not been to see the Santa Specials before, with no kids I'm kinda out of the target market, but I reckoned this didn't prevent me from watching from the line side.

Arriving at Kidderminster, I was surprised just how much was going on. Access to the platforms is sensibly policed strictly but wandering along the car park allowed me to watch Taw Valley being prepared. This ticked the box for enjoying the smell and sounds of a large locomotive. Steam locos are one of those machines you take in with more than just your eyes, the aroma of oily steam and soot, the heat given off, the sound that you feel as much as hear when they start a heavy train moving. You can't so this with a model.

Steam#

Under the canopy, the station was full of tinsel and people. Crowds of families all looking forward to their day out. A far cry from the gricers you'd normally find. The SVR is proficient at milking them for money with sweet stalls all around - very sensible bearing in mind this is, for many railways, the most profitable time of year.

I slipped through the side door and out tot he tranquility of the railway museum where I enjoyed the exhibits and a nice slide of tea and cake. 


It's always worth a nose in here if you like railway memorabilia, I now own an early BR loo roll holder - well I wasn't going to contribute much money any other way. Last time it was a GWR detonator case which now acts as a file holder beside my modelling board.

Back outside, after a stroll around the (better than expected) town centre, I tried the car park on the other side of the station. This put me next to the miniature railway and I enjoyed watching both a tiny train and procession of big'uns.

Little and large steam trains

The big surprise for me was the number of trains in operation. Three 10 coach (I think, didn't count) trains with half a dozen large locos in steam to allow for quick and efficient turnarounds. Modellers could do worse than pick Christmas on a preserved line as a prototype if they like express engines. That's what you need to handle the traffic all the coaches were running full.

Prarie takes on water


Bradley Manor

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For obvious reasons your post was compiled before the vandalism to the SVR coaching fleet during Christmas night was discovered. Tragic what a few mindless people can do as a 'joke'

Phil Parker said...

Tragic indeed. It's obviously a pre-planned thing too, they were well prepared. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-42484761

Duncan Young said...

When I was really active in railway preservation, I had a day of days in July 1991 on Taw Valley when she was on the NYMR.....

stephen said...

We went as a Santa Special customers just before the big day and were very impressed by the organisation and service - excellent Santa too!