Thursday, August 30, 2018

Commlock complete


Job done. With all the stickers and transfers in place, a good coating of satin varnish completes the commlock replica. The finish isn't perfect, but then the paint job on the real props appears to have been pretty tatty, so this is a compromise between the rose-tinted memories of a small boy watching TV and the reality of a hard-working piece of special effects kit.

It's been an interesting project. Digging into the real props reminds me just how crude these things can be, at least in pre-HD TV days. I remember seeing some real Star Trek pistols and being amazed that they were little more than poorly shaped lumps of wood, nothing like the sleek devices I saw on the screen.

The Century Castings kit is easy to assemble and nicely complete. A bit of a bargain too really.

Will I be sporting the commlock as I strut around town? No. I'm not that much of a nerd. If you go to a sci-fi convention, that's great, but I don't feel the need to dress up. Besides, those nylon flairs wouldn't suit me. 

No comments: