Monday, August 10, 2020

Boat crew




I don't like putting photos of model figures on the blog - they never look as good as in real life. However, they are part of the build, so here we go.

Three nicely moulded 3cm tall figures are included in the kit. A nice touch, so many other kits leave you to find some from the aftermarket and I'm not sure there is much choice in 5mm:1ft scale. There certainly wasn't when this kit was produced!

All were painted with Humbrol flesh and then dry-brushed with the lighter Revell shade. I suppose I could have left this since they should all be ruddy-face sailors. Or maybe they should be more orange for that American Presidents-style tan...

After that, some muted colours for the clothes and a wash of Citadel ink to put some shadow in. I wish this was sold in a slightly less dark shade as it's a bit stark, but that's the fashion for fantasy and military modellers, and as I say, it looks better in real life.

The lolly sticks as handles to hold the figures by the way. The superglue joints should break easily, but I found I needed to slide a knife blade under them after breaking the captain's toes off.

3 comments:

Luke said...

When I talked to my local Games Workshop they recommended the Citadel shade "Seraphim Sepia" as a wash. it makes the figures a bit Trump but maybe a thin mix of both? They also seen to do a more dirty brown wash, Devlan Mud.


Citadel wash colour swatches

Anonymous said...

I find white glue/PVA to be a very good temporary fixative for anything from painting to soldering. I've built turnouts using PC board ties white-glued to a sheet of glass. When I've built the turnout, I simply soak the glass sheet and turnout in hot water, which dissolves the glue. As long as what you are building can be dunked in water, it's a good building trick for the modeller.

It'd be a simple matter to white-glue/PVA figures to a base, and soak them off the base when finished painting.

Steve Lucas.

BR60103 said...

Woodland Scenics makes stuff called Accent Glue. Similar to rubber cement, but the item can be picked up and placed somewhere else, a few times. It can also be peeled off eventually.

(Note: the glue is stronger than layers of cardboard and some layers of paint.)