Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Lindberg Tugboat - all done

 Lindberg Tugboat on the canal. 

 For the final shots of the tugboat, I wanted to sit it on some brown water. The obvious choice would be the model boat club, but we're having to book in there to keep numbers down and I hadn't had the chance to do this when a sunny day appeared.

With a trip to pick up some wood required, I decided to try sailing on the canal. This was easier said than done as I wanted a nice, quiet spot. The first places I looked at were full of moored boats, or I could park anywhere near. Without a proper box for the model I didn't want to risk lugging it very far.

Lindberg Tugboat on the canal. 

Eventually, I found a spot on the edge of Warwick and set up. The water wasn't too far from the bank, another issue with the boat club at the moment, and the boat behaved itself when afloat. I was holding the camera and randomly aiming, but this worked OK. In a shady, spot, the flash made shots look better, the same as when I'm in the more controlled environment of the lake. 

The slight current kept the model on the move, but it easily overcame this and pootled around happily enough. Even a passing boat didn't seem to bother it. 

 Lindberg Tugboat on the canal.

I've enjoyed building this kit. Everything seems to go together well and the modifications required to fit radio control didn't cause any big problems. Now finished and weathered, I think it looks great. Maybe all those plastic handrails make it a bit fragile, I can live with this was it's a fair-weather model that demands calm water. Perhaps not a "Thursday Boat" I can take out at a moments notice, it will stand up to a big of use. There's not much point in fitting radio if you can't sail after all.

There are several other kits in this range. While they are probably very rare, I'll certainly be looking out for them.

5 comments:

James Finister said...

I have to say I've been really impressed by that. it is an old kit that would so often be overlooked. I can see conversion potential to a small ferry as well

Steve said...

This is a really lovely model Phil, I like it a lot. At this rate you may even get me modelling boats :-)

Woody said...

That really looks stunning on the water. One of those projects that is so right. Well done Phil. I suspect this kit will now go up in value as others now see its potential!

Woody

Unknown said...

Looks Good but stern is too high, should be low near water level. Bow should be up and perky like narrowboat in background . Last mounth had a lift on a small tug when out too late in canoe. Dragged canoe up onto tug's stern 1 ft above water level.
ianL

Phil Parker said...

It's a compromise with a working model this small. A lower stern might ship more water in the overscale real world it has to sail in.